Distribution of elements and isotopes in Earth systems with emphasis on the use abundances and isotopic ratios in defining the source and evolution of igneous rocks, the interaction between different reservoirs (mantle, crust and atmosphere) and the role of tectonic settings.
Geochemical constraints on mantle plume dynamics and structure.
- Time integrated studies of volcanic stratigraphic series on the Kerguelen and Hawaiian Archipelago and of submarine Hawaiian volcanoes.
- High-precision isotope stratigraphy (Pb & Hf by MC-ICP-MS, Sr & Nd by TIMS) of the Hawaiian Scientific Deep Hole (HSDP), other Hawaiian sections and rejuvenated volcanism.
- Large-igneous provinces:
- Kerguelen Plateau - Broken Ridge, Ninetyeast Ridge. Role of the Kerguelen Plume.
- Wrangellia flood basalt province (Vancouver Island, Yukon & Alaska)
- Evolution of magmatism at the end of an arc: Northern Cascade Arc and Cordilleran Volcanic Province.
- Determining magma sources in the High Cascades.
- Isotopic tracing of the Fraser River (Sr, Nd, Hf and Pb isotopic studies).
- Pb isotopic study of particles collected around the English Channel area: determination of the Pb sources and modelling of the anthropogenic vs. natural sources.
- Historic Pb pollution in the Vancouver area; systematic study of Stanley Park trees, Fraser River sediments and other time records.
- Source(s) of the high Cd in BC oysters.
- Iron isotope fractionation within atmospheric aerosols: tracing of pollutants vs. natural sources.
- Si isotope distribution in seawater.
- Systematic isotopic (Sr, Nd, Pb & Hf) and geochemical characterization of USGS reference materials.
- Application of heavy/non-traditional stable isotopes: Mo, Cu, Zn.
- Experimental laboratory studies of isotope partitioning between phases.
- NSERC Collaborative Research and Training Experience (CREATE) program: MAGNET: Multidisciplinary Applied Geochemistry Network: http://www.magnet.eos.ubc.ca/(link is external)
- And August 2012, International Innovation(link is external), Taking up the Mantle, p116-119.