International Research Roundtables
Update: A possible deferment or cancellation of the 2020 International Research Roundtables program call is currently under consideration. Updates on this program will be posted soon.
The Institute is now accepting applications for International Research Roundtables held in the 2020-21 academic year.
Deadline: Friday, May 1st
Big ideas. Time and space to explore them. The Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of British Columbia (UBC) will grant up to five International Research Roundtable Awards each year for scholars from UBC, Canada and the international community to advance excellence in knowledge development in an interdisciplinary environment. The themes or topics must be broad-ranging.
International Research Roundtables are aimed at fostering excellence in research, and serving as a catalyst for collaborative research between international scholars and UBC scholars. They will provide scholars, community leaders, artists, policy makers and others the opportunity to explore a theme, create the foundation for innovative research, prompt important advances in science and society, and/or have a significant impact on the discovery of solutions to important problems.
Trying to plan an International Research Roundtable application? Apply for a Theme Development Workshop!
Want to hold your meeting in another part of the world? Apply for a Wall Colloquia Abroad!
- Canadian and international scholars are eligible to apply; however, at least one principal investigator must be a UBC professor who will be responsible for administering the award.
- The International Research Roundtable must offer a unique opportunity for collaboration among scholars of diverse disciplines. The Institute will not fund meetings that would have otherwise happened.
- The application must describe how the proposed roundtable will create a coherent forum for creative curiosity and the exchange of ideas that can lead to new discoveries, and must set out the anticipated research collaborations going forward.
- International Research Roundtables will generate creative thinking and significant research outcomes.
- The roundtable must afford opportunities for UBC graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to participate.
- Principal investigators are required to submit a final report within 60 days after the roundtable, reporting on how the objectives and outcomes were achieved, and an outline of plans for future collaborative work. Any publications must acknowledge the support of the Peter Wall Institute, and a copy of the paper must be submitted to the Institute.
- Up to five International Research Roundtables will be awarded annually.
- The award will support meeting expenses for a Roundtable at the Peter Wall Institute in Vancouver, Canada, for two to five days.
- The proposed budget may range from $20,000 to $45,000. Award funds may be used to cover accommodation, meals and travel costs, for up to 20 participants for the duration of the Roundtable.
- Completion of the application form.
- All research grant applications and proposals must be accompanied by a UBC Research Project Information Form (RPIF). Please visit the UBC Office of Research Services website to download the form.
- International Research Roundtables must be held in the period September 1, 2020 to December 31, 2021 at the Institute’s seminar facilities.
- Roundtables must include one event open to the broader community that will advance knowledge in an area of public interest.
- The proposed budget for the roundtable may range from $20,000 to $45,000. The amount awarded will be commensurate with meeting duration, scope of the proposed theme or topic, range of disciplines or communities involved, and the timeliness and importance of research to be advanced.